• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • Visit Panda Profiles
  • Visit LLamamMagic
  • Final attempt at help

Discussion in 'Honorbuddy Support' started by Lightbrand, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Lightbrand

Lightbrand New Member

I guess my computer just isn't destined to handle honorbuddy.

It had no problem back in Cata era, asked for authenticate key at launch, it's saved there, I press the button and I log in no prob.
      It had gone untouched post MoP, now in WoD so I deleted the old folder. Install brand new HB. I no longer get an authenticate key screen, just a blank main screen.

It's the greymagic.dll problem View attachment 940 2014-12-01 07.02.txt

So I did the copypaste answer from Tony to the letter.

Uninstalled .Net Frame
      Uninstalled C++ 2008, 2012, 2013 redistributable.
      Restart computer

Ran Buddywizard
      Update .Net from windows Update.
      Restart

Reinstall Honorbuddy at a new location.
      Now I get Authentication failed." with View attachment 6312 2014-12-21 04.40.txt
      The process Honorbuddy.exe*32 will remain in the process despite all the windows are gone.
      If I keep launching Honorbuddy.exe it'll keep showing that error and I'll get more in the process screen. Eventually clogging up all the memory.

I installed using the zip. If I use the installer, it doesn't matter where I choose to install it, the folder won't show up after the installation says it's complete. If I run it again, I get the option to "repair" or "uninstall". If I choose repair it'll go through the .Net and redistributables and ask for restart. Then I restart and the folder is still nowhere to be found. If I click uninstall then it'll uninstall. If I click it after it'll say Install to x folder again. And again it won't show.

This is my final plead for help, if no solution can be done I guess I'll come check back years down the line to see if things changed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    2. chinajade

chinajade Well-Known Member Moderator Buddy Core Dev

Hi, Lightbrand,

Please answer these questions for us:
      • What version of Windoze are you running?
      • What is the FULL path to your Honorbuddy.exe?
      • Are you running Honorbuddy with Windoze "admin" permissions (right-click, "Run as administrator")?

cheers,
      chinajade

3. Lightbrand

Lightbrand New Member

Full path is F:\B\Honorbuddy.exe

And yes I am running as admin (right click, run as), also I am the only account on this computer and is granted admin control.

F is just one of my hard drive partition that I have random stuff installed, not C:\ where the windows and program files are.

4. chinajade

Two more:
      • Is "F:" a local permanent hard drive, or some form of thumbdrive or network storage?
      • Is Honorbuddy an exception to your Antivirus?

cheers,
      chinajade

5. Lightbrand

Lightbrand New Member

F: is a 121GB partition from my main 500GB HDD. It's where I put movies and stuff.
      My C: is a 111GB SSD where I install windows and programs.

I do not run any antivirus, and I have tried running with all windows firewall disabled to no avail.

I really appreciate the fast response.

6. chinajade

Hi again, Lightbrand,

All these answers are what we were hoping to see for a 'good' install.

I've seen this failure mode before, when the Updater fails to handle some details. Most of the time, its because Honorbuddy has been installed to a cloud drive, and the syncing software is keeping a file locked, so the Honorbuddy Updater is unable to take the actions it needs.

But, this failure mode has always been repaired in the past by simply taking the .Zip file and copying it on top of the existing installation.

There is obviously something on your machine that is interfering with the ability to even extract a .zip file correctly. This is definitely a problem related to your specific machine, and is probably something you will need to chase.

As a last ditch try, perhaps another 'clean install' using the .zip file instead of the installer?

Put it in a *new* directory, just to be safe. If that doesn't work, I'm tapped out, and very sorry. Again, it is something peculiar to your machine—something is interfering (looks like at the file-system level) with proper Honorbuddy operation.

cheers,
      chinajade

7. Lightbrand

Lightbrand New Member

I guess that's it for me then, thanks for your time chinajade.

Oh just a note, all the other buddies work just fine.

Demonbuddy Hearthbuddy, I unzip it and launch and it asks for key (which I don't have).