• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • Visit Panda Profiles
  • Visit LLamamMagic
  • ** OFFICIAL ** Downtime Discussion - 6/22/2010

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by ski, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. ski

ski Well-Known Member

3.3.5 is coming out today for US and next week for EU.S

2. jawn

jawn Member

man when i start botting (oops i mean playing *wink*) again there's gonna be alot of changes to catch up on. HOpefully the RealID thing won't screw shit up as bad as when they attempted Voice chat into the game the first time.. that was hell LOL...

3. dethl

dethl New Member

I've got an alt account ready to go - I'll probably buy the full license as soon as GB/HB comes back up (no point in buying something I can't use right away).

I wonder if the GB/HB team anticipated Blizz's use and is having their software report back when it's connecting from a known Blizz IP - would be a very ingenious way to gather intel. I'm completely against Warden and would love to see some sort of solution that pretty much make's Warden think it's on a clean system (i.e. isolate WoW and prevent it from hooking into anything, even if it installs it's own registered dlls).

4. dethl

dethl New Member

You're right - Blizzard/Activision is here to make money first and foremost. To kill off a large mass of their revenue would be shooting themselves in the proverbial foot. Banning slowly so that there is a resemblance of policing to keep the fanboys happy is a pretty good strat.

5. theholyone

theholyone New Member

my theory: or question. Why would you bot on the night of a schedule check? just out of curiousity..

6. dethl

dethl New Member

Account suicide or just plain addicted to using bots?

EDIT: Does Warden do some sort of deep scan on a "schedule check"?

7. knilxe

knilxe New Member

Downtime???? Nooooo!

I was going at a perfect pace! Oh well...props for looking out for our security, can't wait till its back up and ready to go!

8. leenelson97

leenelson97 New Member

I am almost certain that Blizz has access to all the tools that we ourselves have access too to spoof or hide IP addresses, as well as a number of other ways to mask their identity so the HB/GB team may have a hard time isolating them from the rest of the masses, but then again I don't think these guys are quite human(perhaps...roBOTs?...yeah I know...sorry just had to), so they may be aware of them, but they likely won't and shouldn't tell us if they do.

I mean I think we all know that not every Blizzard employee sits at a desk in Irvine, California. I applied for a few security related jobs for Blizzard in Irvine, CA a few years ago but turned it down as the economy wasn't ideal for uprooting my family from the east coast of the US to the west coast...they wouldn't even offer relocation assistance!!! bastards, LOL. Their loss, but I love my current job of 7 years... my 'white hat' fits nicely :p Anywho, the jobs at Blizz were pretty cutting edge IT security, red team, vulnerability testing, and all that stuff. So if they are concerned about what comes in.. you can be sure they control what we see from them as well.

9. lostone

lostone New Member

i have honorbudddy right now and im going to buy gatherbuddy soon if i buy the one month 30 eur can i later on upgrade it to the life time version? I know about the discounts im just wondering if their still in place.

sorry for mini hijacking this thread. :3

10. namaze

namaze New Member

Yes, you can upgrade from gatherbuddy monthly to gatherbuddy lifetime for the price of 55 euros (80-25 euros, check my math, I'm not sure).

11. xio8up

xio8up New Member

I was botting before the server shut down heh. Farming fel iron with gb xd

12. dethl

dethl New Member

Of course nothing is perfect...HB/GB works doesn't it?

Doesn't surprise me that Blizz has some cutting edge security research going on but even then there is always going to be vulnerabilities because everything is made by a human. I'm going to bet that someone somewhere screwed up and exposed an internal Blizz IP and some nice intel. As you know - it's not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN. On the flip side the same can be said for anyone using a bot or other program.

I think Warden had to be updated because of how Windows 7 handles internal messages - I did some work for a company that used dll hooks to grab various aspects of programs and recorded what was going on. I remember that Windows 7 was going to be a major issue for us because the message system doesn't work like it does in XP/Vista.

I do web service testing myself and love my job to death - it's a great start into the security industry.

13. swolbyn

swolbyn New Member

Not true at all. Blizzard is swimming in so much money they can and will mass ban again... Don't get comfortable feeling safe. Do you really think 30k accounts is anything to them considering most of those will make new accounts when they are banned?

14. dethl

dethl New Member

30k is just an example - yes Blizz has millions of accounts but if they get overzealous they risk banning people who have nothing else installed except WoW. Mass bans are dangerous due to the false positives that can and do happen.

15. deltasniper3

deltasniper3 New Member

that was kinda a rude answer all i asked is what types of detections and why it was a big update to be called warden 2

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    16. Akul

Akul New Member

Hopefully all dungeon meshes will be released with this new release of HB/GB? <3

17. deltasniper3

deltasniper3 New Member

i think the new release is just to help protect the bot from warden

18. ski

ski Well-Known Member

Sharing that kind of information can compromise the security of GB/HB, so its kept under wraps (very few people know unless they find out themselves).

19. namaze

namaze New Member

But I wonder if the Dev's actually call Blizzard asking them about the warden patches... Lets start a pool!

20. Akul

Akul New Member

I was just thinking it might be added because of:

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.