• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • Visit Panda Profiles
  • Visit LLamamMagic
  • [Plugin - Monitoring] jMon - a Buddy monitor!

Discussion in 'Archives' started by j0achim, Feb 26, 2012.

1. S_o_M

S_o_M Member

Just go your way, no stress. This is simply awesome for beeing at work and see how the Bot goes, for people without smartphone.
      And with a Chat reply function almost perfect.

2. j0achim

j0achim New Member

I have placed an order for a new server: 32Gb ram, quad core i7 2600K, 3x 3tb RAID 1, 100mbit access and unlimited traffic.

3. Piwielle

Piwielle New Member

great news.. this should be an featured plugin :D

4. y2krazy

y2krazy Community Developer

j0achim,

First off, thanks for an amazing plugin. I do have one concern, however... what if your database is compromised? Since you store/track actual character names and their associated realms, if a certain company were to come into possession of your data, wouldn't all the users be banned? I know it is a faint risk, but what are your thoughts on this and what are your plans for security moving forward? Thanks again!

5. j0achim

j0achim New Member

As i like to point out first. Would I abuse the data? No way I develop a plugin using hundreds of hours, to then abuse the data why would I want to destroy all that. Also i ordered a server costing me 60? + the one-time setup fee 150?. So already this project have cost me 210?. Ok i wanted a new VPS (now i run my own Virtual Center :D) And i already paid like 40? a month for the webhost + the vps i used before so with a little extra i can now host more sites, and run several virtual machines. But enough about that.

Luckily many of the guys in this forum knows a huge bit about security. I have had a few persons come to me with recommendations, where and what security measures i needed to increase to make plugin / server as safe as possible. This is a topic many feels is something that should be kept quiet however security through obscurity is never a good method of security. If someone comes over glitches on my site then tells me how to increase its security I thank that person for coming to me and telling me "hey this and this needs improvements".

As for the data itself, all i can do is guarantee that i will never sell or redistribute any data that can be used to ever identify a user. Also in an upcoming update (soon) it will be possible to use a "paranoid" mode where nickname and server is not required. And will give the user ability to call their bots whatever they want.

Also once i am satisfied with the data transfer from plugin <---> server i intend to put a encryption layer on top of the data. Even tho i see no reason why anyone would want/should to be able to read this data. Which means the security risk lays on the users end. (Wifi with no encryption, random proxy server, public network...) And even then the market for collecting the data used for this plugin has no to little use for anyone.

Passwords are always stored in a safe method. Using hashes such as MD5, SHA1 then seeded random salt as a "just in case" measurement.

Database wise i plan using memory tables for data that could be considered "sensitive" which is mainly Nick name + Server name. A memory table is a table that is not physically stored on the machine anywhere but runs entirely in the "ram". Thus when server is restarted/stopped/truncated/whatever all the data in this table is lost forever. Then a physical database would ONLY store a reference id to look-up nickname / server from the memory table.

Code:
      SELECT Name, Server FROM memory_table_01 WHERE sha1_hash = 'A REF HASH ID HERE';

If no rows are returned, names would look something like "Bot123020", "Server02310310", until that bot ever sings back on. Since then memory table is updated with the hash + the Nick name + Server name.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    6. lawl

lawl New Member

Add a donation button man, this is one of the few things worth donating for!
      This addon is awesome :cool:

What country you from?

7. j0achim

j0achim New Member

Im from Norway.

A discrete donate button found in footer on the www.j-mon.com website.

8. MaxMuster

MaxMuster Well-Known Member Buddy Store Developer

Login and then there is a Donate Button on Bottom of the Page.

9. lawl

lawl New Member

Fett :)

Gir deg definitivt en ?l neste gang jeg seller gull!

10. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte New Member

How far are you with 2way chat and iphone notifications :)?

11. j0achim

j0achim New Member

The day today will be used to prepare new server. Other then that 2 way chat is merely a draft so far.

12. Phones

Phones New Member

J0achim, may we know a little more about you? When did you start programming, how many years ago, at what age did you start, etc :) This is pretty inspiring, I would love to have the technical skills to do something like this, to be able to have an idea and to make my own script, program, website. The part that "keeps me away" is knowing that the beginning learning process takes so much time and that's something I don't have that much right know :/ I wish I had started learning this when I was 13/14 y.o. , but I always had this kind of "fear" of programming, like it was too "nerdy" and I wouldn't learn enough to actually do something nice. Anyway, I'd love to hear your story :) Btw, I'm 17.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    13. soussi

soussi Member

Very nice plugin thank u!
      One question is it possible to add a message that is shown on honnorubuddy when bot loggs out?
      For example when using a oplugin (logmeout, rare killer, ..) and it logs out then it will show the reason (follow too long by player...) it would be great to see it show on jmon to have an idea what happened (stuck or inactive, followed,...)

14. j0achim

j0achim New Member

I have updated first page with a small Q/A. should make it easier for new readers to identify what jMon is. Though i mean the pictures tell the whole story.

Yes, and it will, i will call this events, and will be among the features that will be Notification optional. e.g: you want notifications on mail for certain events it will mail you a notification when it happens.

15. j0achim

j0achim New Member

I will start a bit short from the beginning, I've always had a burning interest for computers, I knew already when i was 6 that when I grow up I want to work with computers (this is exactly 20 years ago) or become a basketball player (lol the dreams we have as kids :p). Anyhow for many years just begin around a PC was enough to entertain me, not to mention playing games on these mighty cool machines. About 8 years went by and when i was 14 i started playing around with batch scripts, and other scripts such as AutoIt script and other scripts alike. Which i played around with ever since. (still today i wirte scripts in AutoIt when i want to do something quick and easy, this even on a daily basis, which frustrates my boss because he thinks programming has to be planned and take ages) When i went to school i did a few years with different things one year with electro, another with mechanic, and a year with ICT. Two more years as a apprentice and i got my certificate of completed apprenticeship as a ICT Operator. During the years as a apprentice i started programming php, sql, html and css. I am not the guy who sits down and learn everything about one langue, i think its better being agile an know some about about everything. And programming is programming once you wrap your head around the logical thinking a langue itself is only a matter of syntax and not something you have to learn over and over. Later on i experimented with C# (which i just love!) and i started playing around with it about 3 years ago more or less. A little over 1 year ago i found a project in C# that really intrigued me to continue developing C#.

Pro/Con of the way i program, i myself have never read a single book on programming, I've tried but books just does not stick to me. This does not mean i cant read, because im a 5* expert at using google, if you think "pfft hear it before google is your friend" its true, I think google is much more powerful then using a book as reference for me personally. For me it works really well, I'm not often stuck on a subject for too long. And when i use google as reference i always come over new code and new ways to overcome certain obstacles, and not being a slave by following the book way of programming. And personally i think this is a great skill as it gives me the opportunity to work on things that i am not really competent to work with. [learning by coding]

Other then that on my spare time i do skiing (off piste), work on cars 69 Mod VW Beetle <3, write code (obviously), hang out with friends (mostly on weekends to get drunk, since lately all time have gone-by coding), home theater and hifi. Playing games. (uuhm cant remember when i actually played last time)

16. lathrodectus

lathrodectus Member

Great plugin, thank you for developing such a useful and neat plugin. Two way chat is exciting and will be a gamechanger. Are you planning to enable push notifications? that would be really awesome.

17. j0achim

j0achim New Member

Push notifications through email, and API's such as tweets, notifo, prowl and others alike.

18. Farmbot

Farmbot New Member

I use Chrome but i tested it several time, the Caht only refresh if i change Page and go Back to Overview.
      I use the last Plugin which update automatically.

I don?t know :-(

Will test it today again

19. mspazz

mspazz Member

Great plugin. I really enjoy it. I'm not sure how doable this would be, but is there anyway to have the plugin output a .txt file with transcripts of chat logs?

20. lawl

lawl New Member

This would be awesome.
      Your plugin tells me that i've gotten 10 whispers this night, but i cant see them.