• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • Visit Panda Profiles
  • Visit LLamamMagic
  • Strange Luck

Discussion in 'Archives' started by wiredtop, Jul 7, 2011.

1. wiredtop

wiredtop New Member

Most the jobs I have seen advertised provide free accommodation, and even if they weren't I think it is a tad over exaggerated?

2. theatristformallyknownasG

theatristformallyknownasG Active Member

Most jobs shown on telly are exaggerated, there are very few good jobs available in the mines, they make it sound a happy place to work. Free Accommodation, yes if you like living 12 to portable hut with an aircon sleeping on a bunk bed, most people don't last a week living like this and try rent accommodation in "Town", that's where the $1200-$1500 a week rent for a house if you can find one, comes in, you get paid well, you get gouged for everything else. Better off with a good paying job close to your family.

3. Hugemanity

Hugemanity New Member

Very off topic but being an Australian and in the mining industry you can earn $120k au ($130k US) quite easily being unskilled. But expect to work 12 hour days 7 days a week doing 3 on 1 off stints.

The rent is only that high in the main mining towns which the general employee won't be living in. They live in the main city's and companys pay for your flights in and out to site as many sites don't have a town within 500km. Rent is $400-$500au a week in Perth WA for a decent house.. Food costs when onsite are usually paid by the mine owners.

After being to quite a few sites with my work (system admin) I can say I still wouldn't want to do it.

4. Hugemanity

Hugemanity New Member

There are STACKS of jobs available. Australia is really struggling to fill the job need and are getting a heap of international workers now. Accomodation is not dorm at any site. You get your own 'donga' or transportable. Basically a bedroom with a desk, tv and small fridge. It's not that bad if you get in the mindset that you want to earn and save money and get out.

Go to Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and look at rentals in porthedland and karratha (western australia). These are the places you are thinking of with high rent. The houses that get rented there are generally by the large mining companys so the executives and people not needed on site's often around this region can get a bed to sleep for a night or two.

Fly in fly out (FIFO) is what the majority of people do and like all jobs the higher skilled people get the better roles.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    5. ChrisAttackk

ChrisAttackk New Member

Umm idk if we're still talking about this anymore, but
      gratz man , you did good!